Friday, November 11, 2005

I would be the first person to tell you that I am not the biggest bird fan. I would even go as far to say that I actually dislike birds. I think it has to do with the fact that I tend to be a little afraid of them. So as you can imagine, being in a city invested by these creatures causes a daily dose of anxiety. The pigeon has become my nemesis.

Usually I am able to avoid the critters with the exception of my walk through Russell Square on my way to the gym. Pigeons in Russell Square are fearless. Honestly, they swarm your feet without any hesitation. I tend to take heavy steps to scare them off, but there is always the occaisional pigeon that is ready to challenge you.

Today I noticed fewer pigeons then usual and was pleasantly relieved. It didn't take me long to figure out where they were hiding though. For some strange reason, these people thought that feeding the pigeons in an area where many people were pleseantly seated on benches chatting, was a good idea. I honeslty felt like I was living out a scene from a very, very bad dream. They were just swarming this bench, fighting eachother for crumbs. It was unbelivable.

Honestly, can someone please explain to me the purpose of feeding these things? Are we not just breeding more problems?

Moral of the story? I am going to walk around the park from now on...


The author apologizes if she has offended any bird lovers.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please refer to the video evidence of running through Trafalgar Square. Nothing bad happened to me then. Maybe you need professional help.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Dear Anonymous,

Although you may have been going through some difficult times when you decided to take your life into your own hands that day, I refuse to be as reckless. I would prefer to model myself after more responsible people.

Signed,

Safety First

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Safety First,

Where has your respect for the carrier pigeon gone? For the dove?

Don't expect any birds to help you out should you be stranded on a desert island.

Signed,

Get a Grip.

p.s. - Avian flu is just a fluke... it's not the bird's fault.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Safety First,

Where has your respect for the carrier pigeon gone? For the dove?

Don't expect any birds to help you out should you be stranded on a desert island.

Signed,

Get a Grip.

p.s. - Avian flu is just a fluke... it's not the bird's fault.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like birds. I have a feeder in my backyard and I make time to watch the Cardinals, Bluejays, Grosbeaks and Chickadees daily. Pigeons are nothing more than Flying Rats...

Cheers!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

I like you Rod.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Emm said...

Remember the experiemnt we did with birds?

Laura: Watch, birds just LOOK like they are gonna hit you. They never do.

Me: Okay!

(Five seconds later...)

WHACK!

Me: A bird just hit me in the back of the head. Awesome.

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly: I'm Emm's Ex-Coach (so to speak)

Emm: Next time, duck. That's what I do went they shoot at me... ;)

Cheers!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home