Please be advised... this is not for the weary.
iPod on. Comfortable shoes. Ultimate destiation. Let the walking inner monologue begin.
So today I was thinking about how sad I was to leave Canada and realized that I had, in the process, underestimated just how much I missed London. Living in London has not ever been real for me. It still kinda feels like a dream. I was admiring how great this city is on my walk today. It is always busy, full or excitement and people. There is always something to do. Oh and did we mention that there is no snow and it is jean jacket/puffy vest weather - who wouldn't love it?
All this changed, of course, once I hit Russell Square.
As avid blog readers will remember, this was were I thought I was a part of a very bad dream last semester. Upon stepping into the park, a bird took one foul swoop and on its dive down to the pavement and came so close to my head that I actually felt the breeze. No joke.
As I picked up the pace to make the whole nightmare come to an end, I noticed that none of the birds were flying to attack me, they had found another victim. Poor guy. I felt bad for him. He was surrounded.
However, as I got closer (because I can't see naturally), I noticed this man was not a victim, he was a facilitator! The birds were loving him because he was feeding them. He had them all over him. Perched on his shoulder, one on his hat, it was unbelievable. As I stopped to stare at the man, I realized that he was also feeding the squirrels. And not throwing food at them. Apparently that would be inhumane. These little critters were coming right up to eat out of his hands. I honestly thought I was in the twilight zone. I am not exaggerating, or being my normal neurotic self either. Anyone would have been in shock and awe at the sight of this guy. Unreal.
I guess you are probably asking yourself why I don't just avoid the place and be done with it. Well, I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately, it is the pathway to two of my three destinations this semester: the gym and where I volunteer. Add school to that mix and it looks like it will be an exciting semester!! Something tells me though that Emma and I always find a way to have nothing short of an adventure...
Andre (Ottawa friend in Grenoble) is in London this weekend! I can't wait to meet him at the train station after my class at 4pm. That's right. I have class at 4-6pm on Fridays. Awesome.
iPod on. Comfortable shoes. Ultimate destiation. Let the walking inner monologue begin.
So today I was thinking about how sad I was to leave Canada and realized that I had, in the process, underestimated just how much I missed London. Living in London has not ever been real for me. It still kinda feels like a dream. I was admiring how great this city is on my walk today. It is always busy, full or excitement and people. There is always something to do. Oh and did we mention that there is no snow and it is jean jacket/puffy vest weather - who wouldn't love it?
All this changed, of course, once I hit Russell Square.
As avid blog readers will remember, this was were I thought I was a part of a very bad dream last semester. Upon stepping into the park, a bird took one foul swoop and on its dive down to the pavement and came so close to my head that I actually felt the breeze. No joke.
As I picked up the pace to make the whole nightmare come to an end, I noticed that none of the birds were flying to attack me, they had found another victim. Poor guy. I felt bad for him. He was surrounded.
However, as I got closer (because I can't see naturally), I noticed this man was not a victim, he was a facilitator! The birds were loving him because he was feeding them. He had them all over him. Perched on his shoulder, one on his hat, it was unbelievable. As I stopped to stare at the man, I realized that he was also feeding the squirrels. And not throwing food at them. Apparently that would be inhumane. These little critters were coming right up to eat out of his hands. I honestly thought I was in the twilight zone. I am not exaggerating, or being my normal neurotic self either. Anyone would have been in shock and awe at the sight of this guy. Unreal.
I guess you are probably asking yourself why I don't just avoid the place and be done with it. Well, I wish it was that easy. Unfortunately, it is the pathway to two of my three destinations this semester: the gym and where I volunteer. Add school to that mix and it looks like it will be an exciting semester!! Something tells me though that Emma and I always find a way to have nothing short of an adventure...
Andre (Ottawa friend in Grenoble) is in London this weekend! I can't wait to meet him at the train station after my class at 4pm. That's right. I have class at 4-6pm on Fridays. Awesome.

2 Comments:
Worst fears in life:
1.Birds
2.Drowning
3.Being buried alive
....I dont know how you do it.
-Juju
Kelly,
Birds are more afraid of you than you are of them. Unless you are Emma, in which case, they will fly directly into your head.
Try and be a big girl.
Post a Comment
<< Home