Tuesday, January 31, 2006


Saturday, January 28th...

Kelly and I left our flat early to arrive at the train station so that everything would go smoothly. We had looked up the schedules to Guildford and worked everything out so we would arrive in good time (we've had some bad luck in the past...). When we get to the train station, I couldn't get a student travel card because the photobooths weren't working. Am I bothered? Do I look bothered? No. No big deal. Pay regular fee.

We were sent to platform 10 to get the train but when we got there they said go to the other side of the building to platform 7. Bothered? No. Still lots of time.

At platform 7. "Guildford? No you want platform 11." Ummm...are you sure? Ok... time is getting tense.

Platform 11. They are now looking up how to get to Guildford for us because apparently NO ONE IN THE WORLD KNOWS HOW. "You need to change at Clapham." Ummm...where? Platform 14 it is decided. We make the train. You will not get us down. We WILL change at Clapham.

When we get to Clapham, we run to where we think our train is but luckily we have twenty minutes to kill. The Positive Patties are feelin good. When our Guildford train arrives, the train doors wont open and we cant get on. We have to run all along the train until we finally get IN, totally panicked that we wouldn't get on. On the train. Bothered? No. Having a good time. We arrive in Guildford. Grab our stuff and attempt to get off the train. Remember the doors that wouldn't open? Yeah...they're still there. We had to run through 4 carriages to get a door that opened. AT one point I opened a window and yelled at a guy outside, "JUST WAIT!!! WE'RE COMING!"

But, don't fear my blogger friends, we did not let this get us down.

We met up with Jenna, Edgar, Genesta and Omar for some good ol Canadian Ice Skating. The line up at the Sports Complex was HUGE. We had to wait an hour in it to get in and snuck in just before they announced no more tickets for the rink would be sold! When we got down to the rink, we lined up to rent skates. (Bloggers, do you remember the big orange boot skates I rented last term? Well, I was expecting those to be here too. I was wrong.) The only skates they had to rent were FIGURE SKATES!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!! THE HORROR!!!! So we all had to get figure skates. It was humiliating. Luckily there were 200 people skating at one time on the ice so you could hardly go fast at all. All I could keep thinking was "TOEPICK".

Ice Skating was so much fun though. Edgar and Omar were great! I think it was Edgar's first time but Omar's second. They took to it like ... Kelly on world peace....or me on Doritos. We all survived the figure skates and there were no falls.

After the ice skating came the proper hockey game, again - a first for the Mexicans! We had tickets for the Guildford Flames vs the Small British Town General Names. At the beginning of the game we all stood up and sang God Save the Queen. It was so much fun. And there was pump up music and the fans were into it. The team was about a Junior C level we decided expect MUCH slower. I wish we could have brought the boys to a proper NHL game! There were 1500 fans there and I saw FIVE Edmonton Oilers jerseys!! Two of them were 80s, one white, one third, and one dark with Ryan Smyth's number on the back - no joke! A 13 year old boy was wearing it and I ran up to him and said "I LOVE YOUR JERSEY. I LOVE RYAN SMYTH. HE IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER." He then ran away from me and ran to his dad. I later found out that Kel saw him tell his dad he was excited I liked him too but Im convinced I have scarred him for life. The Guildford team won, after a quick explanation of the game the boys seemed to pick up on it, and Kel and I met the team owner who is from Toronto. So that was fun!!



A few funny observations:

1. The 10 year old boys behind me kept saying "Where is that little black dot? Find the little black dot." They were referring to the puck.

2. You know how in Premier football all of the fans have really cool clapping songs and rhythms etc.? Well, they did that for hockey too. Ex. When the home team would score they would all do CLAP CLAP CLAP and they scream GOAL! Those Brits love to clap.

3. When a player got a double minor for roughing the announcer said "#27. Two plus Two for roughing." Say what?

So Guildford was a hit! A great Canadian day.

I wrote a lot but if anyone who was on the trip wants to add any details in the comments, please feel free to do so. It was such a jam packed day that I must have forgotten a lot!

This is a picture from Sunday.... details to come!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girls, thanks for that weekend!.

First time in a hockey game, first time trying to skate on ice (in both learning from the experts!)

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finally figure skates! You can pick, you can twirl you can show off your underwear if you dare. What fun. Oh by the way do you think Edgar is ready to play goal for the Leafs? We could use him.

6:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great day!

Oh, the good old hockey game..
It's the best game you can name...!

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! It sounds like you guys had an awesome day. I love how you guys always write what you are thinking... so far my favourites have been the "walking inner monologue", your latest post and the "how to comment" was very informative and thorough. Keep it up ladies.

Mand

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em! You do us Canadian's PROUD!!!

1:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Any Emma hockey story is a good hockey story. Love it. Especially you scarring the little boy for life.

Is there a groundhog in Europe? Manitoba Marvin didnt see his shadow yesterday. Just so you know...
-Juju

3:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home