Due to the overwhelming response on the last post (which, by the way was about the Hip concert - haha), I thought I would take the opportunity to divert the debate and maybe start on a new but related topic. So here it is:
Who is your all-time favourite sports hero and why?
(You can go as far back in history as you need on this one folks)
Who is your all-time favourite sports hero and why?
(You can go as far back in history as you need on this one folks)

14 Comments:
I figured that seeing as a put the question to you guys, I had better come up with the first response.
At first I thought Lance Armstrong. I mean do I even need to fulfill the why?
But then I thought what about Mia Hamm? That solid Olympic performance and the unforgettable victory lap in her sports bra that stirred quite the controversy.
Or do I go to the Great One? I mean as a Canadian, Gretzky is a symbol of national pride.
Are these options really my one sports hero though? I am not convinced. So basically I have some thinking to do still, but wanted to get the ball rolling.
Can't wait for the answers to roll in and the debate to begin!
Really diappointed in the sports bra response. That was a low-light I think. Is that how you should be remembered?
If we want women, how about the Canadian long track speed skaters Catriona Le May Doan, Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen. Now they are amazing and to be admired both for their skill and their character.
But heroes? Don't know if anyone should be - in sports that is. That's a philosophical question that it is too hot to explore right now.
But great topic.
Kelly - don't be so discriminatory in your posts please. All of the 'heroes' you named were lauded for their athletic skill, their triumph over adversity, and their contribution to their sport and to society at large.
That's despicable.
Whatever happened to admiring the average joe? Someone with, say, a .235 lifetime batting average. That's pretty solid! So what if my hero led American League in strikeouts for most of his career? So what if he retired due to lack of skill? That doesn't make him less hot. He's HOT! And dammit - physical attractiveness should still be considered a valid attribute in a hero. So stop casting Toby McGuire as Spiderman and let's have a moment for my sports hero:
Alex Gonzalez, Shortstop, #8
Forgot to write hahaha after the Mia Hamm comment. More commenting about the how the world stopped when she pulled her shirt over her head. It was really meant to be a
Good call on Alex Laur. I did say hero and not one true love though.
Thought about it. I think that I will have to say Magic Johnson. I was really into basketball around the time that he first came out with being HIV positive. He admitted his seropositivity in an era with no medication, intense stigma and incredible uncertainty about 'AIDS'. Since, he has made it his mission to help fight prejudice and advocate on behalf of PHAs everywhere. Ohhhh and the fact he was named to the All-Star team 12 out of his 13 seasons, being named the league MVP 3 times and for that Olympic gold medal hanging around his neck. Keep fighting Magic.
Forgot to mention that Emm and I are having a bubblegum blowing competition with our 30 year old flatmate. Amazing. Emma is winning so far.
Since my memory is short I am going to tell you the female athlete that I just loved in the Olympics: Clara Hughes. She was too old to win it and started slow and still won. When she was interviewed she spoke of how she just said to herself that she was going to skate the last lap like it was the very last time that she would skate it. She was so happy and kind of normal and an amazing specimen of determination and skill. I know Cindy should be the one and I do think she is great but it was Clara that won my heart.
Riddle me this.
The guy has no talent. The guy has a mullet. The guy has an Olympic Gold medal, a Western Conference Championship (single tear) and a mullet. The guy has so much heart it's sick. The guy has his teammates and coaches talking about how bad of a shot he has during the playoffs after he scores. The guy wears an A. The guy cries in public. The guy was hit by a car that had Glenn Andersen in the driver's seat. The guy looses teeth and comes back the next shift. The guy gets cut in the eye and comes back to assist an OT winner with stiches. The guy is my guy.
Love Mrs. Smytty
Oh, I also read ALi's bio last summer. He gets a vote too.
Ali Bomaye! Ali Bomaye!
God this is hard. I keep thinking about who else I should mention. There are too many.
1. Lance Armstrong for his 12 and a half million Tour de Frances
2. Mario Lemieux for his comeback
3. Steve Nash for only being 5 foot 13
4. Owen Hargreaves for being Canadian and giving the British fans the backwards peace sign (not literally) after being the best player on the team in the final England game.
5. El Oso for his ability to rush the net.
6. Stevie Y.
7. Victoria (my trainer) for being scary and going to the Olympics twice. "Emma! You're LAZY! YOU'RE LAZY!!!" ahhh!
8. Roger Feds for only being 24.
9. Rockey Richard 'cause my dad wrote his name on my helmet when I was 4.
10. Anyone else?
Frank, Frank M. Gorgeous, mistreated by Punch, smooth skater, has same birthday as SSS and his dad sharpened my skates (yes the white ones with picks)at the Leaside arena since I was born. Yes Senator Frank.
Pele, the greatest player in the world's greatest sport.
Who is my all-time favourite sports hero and why?
I will have to say the Becks. No one can be that sexy and talented and not be some-how claimed a hero. Hero of hottness maybe?
Good lord am I in the wrong sport...
-Juju
This blog business is so confusing. I was convinced Anonymous was my Uncle Scott, but he just professed his love for David Beckham, the worst midfielder in the World Cup. That's not the Uncle Scott I know. He knows a good midfielder when he sees one.
And Kelly, Mia Hamm? The wife of No-maahhhh? "Thanks, beautiful." If you are looking for female athletes, I believe there are some excellent field hockey players one could consider. They wear those lovely kilts . . .
Magic was an amazing player, and he also changed us in a lot of ways. But if you see him on tv now, god, what an idiot. Whereas Barkley is an icon (or even an iconoclast).
I can't really say I have a sports hero (if that was even the question). Most of these people are selfish, morally bankrupt etc. (not that there's anything wrong with that), or else just marketing ventures, media creations. I prefer to admire individual performances; those who triumph over weakness; who are a little flawed; those who distinguish themselves in some new way. The Canadian dude who wrote "Blast Off" into his hair when we beat the Yanks in the relay at the Olympics. Zidane for giving Mazerrati the Glasgow handshake. Gretz and Lemiuex for their grace (special commendation to Lemieux for overcoming illness). Lennox Lewis for preferring chess over boxing (even though I love boxing). That running back for the Vikings 5 years ago who, at 28, decided to go to med school than play another 5 years for millions. And even, strangely, Ricky Williams for preferring to travel to Australia than do what we want him to do just cause we want him to do it. I guess you have to throw in Ali, since he was the ultimate iconoclast.
And, of course, Laettner, for going 10 for 10 from the field, and 10 for 10 from the line against Kentucky, including hitting the winner at the buzzer from the top of the key, in the greatest college game ever played.
Boo-yakasha!!!
Wow. I just checked this thread and caught el Oso's essay. Pretty good.
Actually, there is Anonymous aka ju ju who is Emma's friend from Sturgeon. Then there's Anonymous aka the Queen and aka the creepy guy I've never met. That's ScottWe have to get him to id himself one of these days.
I'd forgotten about Laettner. I like the individual performances idea. Can't help but go back to Clara Hughes and Cindy Klassen.
Post a Comment
<< Home