Sunday, July 09, 2006



Friday night Emma and I went to see the Tragically Hip in London. They were awesome. Really, what more can a girl ask for? An all-time great Canadian band, playing in a foreign land for a sold-out audience of over 1000 Canadians. AMAZING.

H-lights: Blow at High Dough, Courage, the guy behind us yelling "Let's get retarded", Nautical Disaster, Gord Downie's elaborate interpretive dance and being joined by Andrew Titus who made the long trek all the way from Glasgow (by bus!) for the show.

L-light: Wheat Kings, or lack there of really.

17 Comments:

Blogger Emm said...

If there's a goal that everyone remembers...

It was the Italians in the Shootout to win the 2006 World Cup.

Je me souvien. I love Poutine. But glad Italy won.

Oh, and Trag didn't play fireworks either.

TOP-I-CAL.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that someone you did not know held your hand for the Bobcaygeon song. SS knows that this si the tradition. Good on ya girls!

1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Em, I was cheering for germany all the way, then france...so i am not happy with the italians right now....but it was a great game, and that is coming from someone who has never really understood the difference between soccer and paint drying.....twas a good tournament.

3:21 AM  
Blogger Nannie Gone Wild said...

Sitting at the cottage watching Anon on the slow computer. My pda goes faster.

Soccer is over. I will call it that now. Props to the Italians. Zidane will still be thought of as fabulous.


Golfing at Bigwin today. Oh, so fine!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

NEVER CALL IT SOCCER!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Emm said...

DHG - until your people stop saying "ice" hockey, my people can say soccer.

Deal?

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EK - Wow, harsh words found at Proud Mom Moments. You all know disappointment is the worst possible thing. I love it.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

No way Em, Hockey came first (ie: the one played on grass or concrete by girls) so calling Ice Hockey, Ice Hockey is legitimate, whereas soccer is a made up word.

:-P

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know, you could post something else. Not that I check the blog alot or anything, but I am kind of tired of Gord's unitard.
Also, my struggle to simply be human could be listed under proud mom moments. I am just saying.
So, get on it.

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

canadians invented hockey on ice, canadians mastered the sport, and canadians were the only people to bring any sort of hockey to the olympics, therefore 'hockey' is played on ice, no need to refer to it as 'ice' hockey.....if u don't agree with me I will fight you and call you ugly

6:39 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Pearce: some facts for you...

The Dutch invented ice hockey.

Hockey was an Olympic sport in 1908, Ice Hockey made its debut in 1920.

Just because its the only sport Canada is good at doesn't make it the most important.

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did someone just suggest that hockey is not the most important game? Does anyone know where Daniel is so we can kill him? Just when I have started to write my introductory SSS blog posting, this Daniel has to interfere with my creative juices? Off with his head!

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

daniel: if you want to go into detail, some hockey history enthusiasts trace the game's beginning to Mesopotamia, in the third millennium B.C. FIELD hockey was indeed first played in Northern Europe. However, REAL hockey originated around 1800, in Windsor, where the boys of Canada's first college, King's College School, established in 1788, adapted the exciting field game of Hurley to the ice of their favorite skating ponds and originated a new winter game, Ice Hurley. Over a period of decades, Ice Hurley gradually developed into Ice Hockey.

Sorry, I took a university course on hockey, and I will debate you till my death on this topic.

1:11 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

hahahhahahahahaha. Well Pearce, you definitely have stood your ground. You are talking to mostly Canadians here DHG... you are going to get a little national pride, mixed with some love and devotion whenever you talk about hockey. Especially claiming that it isn't the most important sport. What is that Canadian saying again? "Live. Breathe. Hockey"?

hahaha.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Emm said...

Is anyone else's biological clock out of synch here?

Like, the 2006 schedule has already been released! Whatever happened to a solid three months off and THEN the draft and THEN the schedule. Oh wait...

NOT COMPLAINING! Just trying to keep up. I'm pretty sure training camp starts tomorrow. I think. What day is it?

11:07 AM  
Blogger Daniel Hoffmann-Gill said...

Pearce: if you've studied it then you'll know that by using subjective terms that expose your own prejudice (ie: REAL hockey) you lose the arguement. Hockey came first, Ice Hockey needs to be called Ice hockey as its hockey played on ice and more nations play hockey than ice hockey.

Need I go on on what is a minority sport?

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Field hockey -- or "hockey" if you prefer -- is very popular in the Northeastern United States, particularly in private or prep schools. Notably, it is only played by women.

4:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home